The Department of Journalism recommends that all students complete at least one internship during their college career. Internships are a great way to explore a field, get work experience, publish work and make professional connections. Please be aware that if you are planning on enrolling in Jour 617 you must complete a Journalism Internship Pre-Approval form prior to enrolling if it is not a certified internship.
Students can only enroll in one capstone (Jour 605, Jour 609, Jour 617) at a time.
Our media internships website provides information on where to find a media internships.
- SFBay.CA - Sports Writer/Photographer/Data Producer/Paid/Local
- Hoodline - Neighborhood News/Online/Local
- Mission Local - Online Neighborhood News/Local
- Raul Ramirez/KQED Internship - Digital News/Local
- Global Press Institute Fellowship - Online News/Local
- DanvilleSanRamon.com - Editorial Intern
- SF Public Press - Newspaper/Online/Print/Unpaid/Reporter & Researcher/Local
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Pleasanton Weekly - Editorial Intern
- San Mateo Daily Journal - Editorial Intern
- El Tecolote - Reporter or Photographer
- SF Examiner/SF Weekly - Photographer Intern
- San Francisco Business Times - Business News Reporting Internship
- Martinez Tribune - News Intern
- Nichi Bei - Reporter
- J-Weekly - Online newspaper/Digital Journalism and Editorial Intern/Local
- OZY Media - Online/Reporter/Researcher/Mountain View, CA
- Minneapolis Star Tribune - Reporter, Multimedia Producer, Videographer, Photographer
- San Francisco Magazine - Local/Magazine/Online/Unpaid
- 7x7 Magazine - Editorial Intern
- Palm Springs Life - Editorial Assistant Palmspringslife.com
- Flaunt Magazine - Editorial Intern
- KQED - Radio News/Local, Photographer, Art Internship
- KQED - Arts Internship, Science photographer
- KALW - News Audio Academy
- KALW - Summer Radio Journalism Training Program
- ABS CBN International Balitang America - Digital Content Production Intern
- KRON4 - Assignment Desk Intern
- Parents for Public Schools - SFUSD School Board Watch Reporter/Local
- Bay Area Sports Guy - writer/editor
- Comcast Sportsnet - Bay Area Internship
- Liquid Bread Magazine - Editorial Assistant
- SF State Journalism Department - Communications Intern
If you have received an internship with one of the above organizations, please have your internship supervisor email the Journalism Department Internship Acceptance Form (DOCX) to the department chair. This form is required to be signed by the add deadline.
Please see the forms on the right of this page. The internship proposal provides our faculty with an objective evaluation of whether or not an internship qualifies for credit. requirement. If we find it does not, students will still have the opportunity to complete the internship for academic credit – Jour 699 Independent Study, but it will not count toward graduation.
Students or employers may initiate the proposal process. Once approved, and internship is also approved for future students unless the parameters change.
University Internship Requirements
Important: SF State uses an online portal to ensure that internships are safe for students. There are a number of forms required after you have accepted an internship. Please visit the ULink site to get started.